- Professor of Philosophy, University of California at Berkeley (from July 1999)
- Professor of Philosophy, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (July 1996-September 2000)
- Associate Professor of Philosophy, The University of Pennsylvania (July 1995-July 1996)
- Assistant Professor of Philosophy, The University of Pennsylvania (July 1988-July 1995)
- Instructor in Philosophy, Wesleyan University (July 1987-July 1988)
- Research Associate, Georgetown University (August 1979-August 1980)
- Visiting Professor, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (summer 2010)
- Erskine Visiting Fellow, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand (spring 2005)
- Visiting Professor of Philosophy, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (summer 2003)
- Visiting Fellow, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia (spring 2000)
- Visiting Professor of Philosophy, Universitat Bielefeld (1994-1995)
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Fellow of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation (2010-11)
- Humboldt Research Award (“Forschungspreis”) from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (2004-2005); “Wiedereinladung”/Follow-up Invitation (2010)
- Humanities Research Fellowship, UC Berkeley (spring 2001, 2010-11)
- Lilly Foundation Teaching Fellow (1990-91)
- Summer Research Grants from the University of Pennsylvania Research Foundation (1989; 1992; 1993)
- Mrs. Giles Whiting Dissertation Fellowship (at Princeton)
- Overall Distinction on Oxford B.Phil. (thesis and exams)
- Carroll A. Wilson Fellowship (for study at Oxford)
- Phi Beta Kappa at Williams (junior year)
Princeton University, Ph.D. (1988), Philosophy
University of Oxford, B.Phil. (1983), Philosophy
Williams College, B.A. (1979), History of Ideas, summa cum laude
Area of Specialization
Other Areas of Competence
Social and Political Philosophy; Philosophy of Action; Philosophy of Law; Philosophical Psychology; The History of Ethics; Skepticism
Chair, external review committee for the Philosophy Departments at the University of Toronto at Mississauga (2012); the University of California, Santa Cruz (2013); and the University of Texas at Austin (2013).
Member, Review Panel to evaluate proposals for Excellence Clusters and Graduate Schools in Humanities and Social Sciences for the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (2007; 2011).
Member, Fellowship Selection Panel (for proposals in “History of Science, Religion, and Philosophy”), NEH, spring 2010.
Series Editor (with Martin Jay), The Berkeley Tanner Lectures (Oxford University Press), 2008-present.
Associate Editor, Philosophy and Public Affairs, 2006-present.
Member, Editorial Board, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, 2005-present.
Member, Advisory Board, Philosophical Explorations, 1999-present.
Member, fellowship selection panel of the American Council of Learned Societies, 2002-2004; 2013-2015.
Member, Program Committee of the Eastern Division of the American Philosophical Association, 1996-1998.
Articles refereed for the Archiv fur Geschichte der Philosophie, Australasian Journal of Philosophy, the British Society for Ethical Theory, Ethics, Nous, Pacific Philosophical Quarterly, Philosopher’s Imprint, Philosophical Explorations, Philosophical Quarterly, Philosophical Review, Philosophical Studies, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, and Philosophy and Public Affairs.
Book manuscripts refereed for Acumen, Cambridge University Press (Cambridge and New York), Cornell University Press, Harvard University Press, MIT Press, Oxford University Press (Oxford and New York), Polity Press, Princeton University Press, and Walter de Gruyter.
Research proposals refereed for the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, the Israel Science Foundation, the Swiss National Science Foundation, and the German-Israeli Foundation.
University Service (at UC Berkeley)
Member, Committee on Budget and Interdepartmental Relations, 2013-2016.
Member, Committee on Academic Planning and Resource Allocation, 2012-2013.
Member, Selection Committee for UC Presidential Fellowships in the Humanities, Spring 2012.
Chair, Humanities Research Fellowship Selection Committee (UCB), Fall 2011.
Graduate Placement Advisor, Department of Philosophy, 2011-2013.
Chair, Department of Philosophy, 2005-2010.
Member, Steering Committee, “Democracy and Diversity” Cluster of the Berkeley Diversity Research Initiative, 2006-present.
Chair, Howison Lecture Committee, 2006-present.
Member, Tanner Lectures Committee, 2005-present.
Chair, Philosophy Department Admissions and Fellowships Committee (2001-04).
Updated on 2013-05-20 10:23:40 -0700 by R. Jay Wallace